Man’s best friend. Doggo. Pupper. Colonel Princess Fluffernugget. Whatever you call your canine companion, your dog is an important member of the family. It makes total sense that you’d want to share your favorite essential oils with your four-legged friend.
How do I apply essential oils to my dog? Is diffusing oils safe for dogs? What essential oils are good for dogs’ itchy skin? What essential oils can I use with my dog? If these questions sound familiar, you’re barking up the right tree!
Grab your furry BFF and get comfy—we’re about to share the ultimate guide on essential oils for dogs.
How do I apply essential oils to my dog?
First and most important: Dogs are highly sensitive to essential oils. What smells like the faintest hint of Lavender to you might smell like 100 acres of lavender botanicals to little Beethoven. Gradually introduce oils by using them on yourself first. Acting as a human diffuser keeps all those new scents from overpowering your pup.
If you’re the proud owner of new puppy, patience is a virtue. Fur reals. Avoid using topical oils on newborn dogs. For medium- or large-breed puppies, wait until they’re over 8 weeks old. For toy or small-breed puppies, wait until they are over 10 weeks old.
Once you start applying essential oils, pay close attention to Lulu’s behavior. Remember, she wants to be near you and will stay by your side even if she’s feeling uncomfortable. Contrary to popular animated films, pets can’t tell us if something is working or not. Please exercise caution—use oils on that loveable lapdog safely and responsibly.
Should I consult a vet?
YES. Note the caps—we’re super serious about this one. If your dog is pregnant, nursing, or has a medical condition, consult a vet knowledgeable in essential oils prior to use. The following are general recommendations for use. If your pet has a known health issue, please consult your veterinarian before administering essential oils. If your vet suggests other usage, defer to those recommendations. Even if your dog is healthy as a horse, please consult a vet to ensure that there aren’t any underlying issues.
When you’re ready to give Teddy some essential oil TLC, topical application is the way to go. But before you apply, dilute those drops! And remember, size matters. Dilute 1 drop of essential oil to 4 drops of V-6™ for small to medium dogs; 1 drop of oil to 3 drops V-6 for large dogs.
Speaking of dilution, did you know that our Animal Scents® oils come prediluted? Even though they’re not as potent, you’ll want to ease into using them by adding 1 drop of the Animal Scents oil to 1 drop of carrier oil. If your dog tolerates it well, you can try it without diluting.
When you’re ready to give it a try, rub the oil and carrier oil between your palms until your hands are no longer shiny. Rub over your pet’s back, on the belly, and behind the ears. Take extra care to avoid the eyes!
Here are a few more ideas for topical application:
- Try Animal Scents Ointment or KidScents® Tender Tush* on dry or irritated skin or to soothe the occasional scrape or burn.
- Use Seedlings® Wipes* to wipe off paws and clean ears instead of the petrochemical-based wipes from the store.
- Apply Seedlings Diaper Rash Cream* on warm, irritated areas you want to keep dry.
Is diffusing safe for dogs?
Yes! You’ll want to diffuse in small doses—small amounts of oil for shorter periods of time—to help your darling Daisy get used to the scent. Again, pay close attention to how your dog acts with the new aroma. If she seems uncomfortable, use fewer drops or do away with the diffusing entirely.
What essential oils can I use with my dog?
Animal lovers, rejoice! We created Young Living’s Animal Scents line with your pets in mind. The oils in this collection are prediluted and formulated without synthetic perfumes, dyes, and artificial colors and fragrances. Because they’re paws-itively perfect, you can feel confident using them on and around your animal sidekicks.
You can also feel all kinds of warm fuzzies when using Animal Scents products on your fluffy friends. A portion of the proceeds from the line supports Vital Ground, a nonprofit dedicated to protecting the habitat of grizzly bears and other wide-roaming wildlife.
PuriClean™ is the first step in our three-part system: PuriClean, Infect Away™, and Mendwell™. PuriClean starts off the system with an impressive list of pet-lovin’ benefits:
- Soothes and moisturizes dry, flaky, irritated skin
- Helps clean minor scrapes and scratches
- Promotes feelings of health and wellness with its warm, comforting aroma
- Refreshes and prepares the skin for the next step
Infect Away is the second stage in our three-part system and offers just as many perks for your pet as PuriClean and Mendwell. Here’s what you and your pupper will find behind this bottle’s bright green label:
- Healthy recovery from minor scrapes and scratches
- Support for your pet’s natural defense system
- Protection against harmful contaminants
- Prep for the final step of our terrific trio
Mendwell wraps up our three-part system. Use it after PuriClean and Infect Away for a trifecta that packs a powerful pooch!
PUNCH. We meant punch.
Here are the perks you’ll find inside every drop of this essential oil blend:
- Soothes and moisturizes dry, sensitive, distressed skin and improves the appearance of healthy-looking coats
- Creates an uplifting environment with its inspiring aroma
- Aids in healing minor scrapes and scratches as part of the three-part system
- Contains powerful essential oils that support your pet’s natural healing process
Love the smell of Peppermint but prefer something super safe for your pet? Try ParaGize™! This essential oil blend:
- Supports your pet’s natural cleansing system
- Offers a calms and quieting blend you can gently massage on your pet’s belly
- Helps release feelings of discomfort when diffused
T-Away™ is one of our most popular essential oils for pets, thanks to a combination of Trauma Life™, Harmony™, and Peace & Calming™ essential oil blends. The citrusy, slightly spicy scent supports a new level of emotional freedom and joy in pets, making it ideal for shelters and rescues. It also:
- Promotes a calming and peaceful environment
- Encourages relaxation and emotional balance
- Supports pets during times of emotional stress, anxiety, and trauma
Are any other essential oils Fido friendly?
Feel like trying something outside the Animal Scents line? The following list of essential oils are safe for your pet.* After ensuring your mini Marley is acclimated to these oils, dilute as needed, rub into your hands, and gently massage into your dog’s fur. Rub her back and belly and scratch behind the ears.
You should prepare yourself for an extra dose of doggy kisses. All that attention’s gonna get you a whole lot of extra love!
- Frankincense essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Patchouli essential oil
- DiGize™ essential oil blend
- Stress Away™ essential oil blend
- Valor® essential oil blend
Which essential oils should you be extra careful using on dogs?
Dogs seem to be sensitive to the high levels and/or combination of certain constituents in the following oils, so we highly caution their use. Dilute these oils heavily and watch your dog for a reaction: